Gunman’s former partner reveals final words


The chilling last words and final psychotic moments of Whangarei gunman Quinn Patterson’s life have been revealed.
In a cold and calm manner Patterson told his best friend and former partner, “I’ve shot (them) … they’re dead on the front lawn”.
Christina White, 66, has spoken exclusively from her Queensland home in Gympie about the man she knew for 27 years.
It is the first time she has talked about Patterson, who is at the centre of Operation Weather, the police investigation into how he came to shoot dead property manager Wendy Campbell, her daughter Natanya and wound contractor Jeff Pipe on July 26.
She may have also been the last person to ever speak with Patterson before his Mount Tiger Road home went up in flames following a firefight with police.
Patterson phoned her just moments after killing the Campbells when they entered the Northland property for what was supposed to be a routine property inspection.
When he rang just after 10.50am, Patterson said: “They’re dead on the front lawn. I told them, they wouldn’t leave me alone, they kept harassing me I told them I’d shoot them. I have.”
White said she had never heard him so calm.
“He said, ‘you’re my last phone call, I’m ringing you to tell you I love you and I’m saying goodbye’.”
Patterson told White he would not survive the day, but never mentioned he would take his own life or burn his home down.
His final words to her were: “I can hear the sirens, the police are coming, I’ve got to go.”
A series of questions were posed to police about White and Patterson’s relationship, but police said while the investigation continues they were unable to answer specific questions which may be relevant to ongoing inquiries.
However, White said she was interviewed by Queensland Police for about two hours on Thursday on behalf of their New Zealand counterparts.
Patterson, 55, was a man who learned to be a criminal during a stint in prison for stabbing a police officer, White said, and who, in his final years and months, descended into a psychotic siege-like state of mind.
White said Patterson also had alcohol and drug addictions but was “worse” when he was not using.
She left him in about 2010, moving back to Australia to be with her family as Patterson’s “psychotic episodes” increased.
Patterson moved into his final home on Mount Tiger Road, but soon began having issues with his tenancy, White said.
Patterson sought help from doctors and psychiatrists during his life, but in the last year his doomsday mentality increased and he began to build his cache of weapons, she said.
“I knew he had guns. When he started buying guns I thought, ‘this is not going to end well’,” White said.
However, she did not contact police, believing Patterson would not carry out his many threats against the property managers who visited him. New Zealand Herald

No posts to display