Old tug saluted by Royal Navy

SHARE
PICTURE: Getty Images

Commander Richard Pethybridge, Chief of Staff, Naval Regional Command (eastern England), salutes the ST Portwey as it pulls away from HMS President, the Royal Navy’s permanent shore establishment in London overnight in London. The ST Portwey is one of the last coal fired twin-screw steam tugs in the world and was built on the Clyde in 1927 before coming under the command of the Royal Navy during the World War Two. It was based in Dartmouth and carried out rescues of vessels and crews sunk by enemy action in the English Channel.

No posts to display