New Zealand concerns over the “buy Queensland” procurement policy will be aired when Trade Minister Todd McClay meets his Australian counterpart in Canberra.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced in late July that the state’s government departments will be encouraged to award contracts to local business from September 1.
Mr McClay says he will register New Zealand’s disappointment at the proposal when he meets federal Trade Minister Steve Ciobo today.
He says it goes against the spirit of the Australia New Zealand Government Procurement Agreement signed 20 years ago this month.
“There are a number of New Zealand businesses in Queensland and Queensland business in New Zealand doing good work for our respective governments,” he said.
“We expect businesses to be treated the same in Australia as Australian business are here, which is fairly.” Mr McClay said it was important that both countries remained committed to the principles of the Closer Economic Relations (CER) agreement and to open trade.
Last week, Mr Ciobo labelled the Queensland plan as “reckless” and said Ms Palaszczuk should apologise to Mr McClay for accusing him of not having read it before publicly criticising it.