Taieri homes still out of bounds

SHARE
Henly residents Nigel Hillis and his daughter Courtney canoe through the town, checking on neighbours on Saturday as the Taieri River flooded the area. PICTURE: Otago Daily Times

Wellington
Many of the people evacuated from their Taieri Plains homes because of flooding will not be allowed back for at least another week, Dunedin Mayor David Cull says, while a state of emergency remains in Christchurch today.
“We’re in clean up mode. We’ll go out of emergency and into recovery phase early today then it’ll be all on, but it’ll be all on for quite some weeks,” Mr Cull told Newshub this morning.
More than 200 properties were evacuated on the Taieri Plains over the weekend following record-setting amounts of rain.
Fine weather yesterday allowed councils in Otago and Canterbury to clear slips and open many roads.
Dunedin’s state of emergency was lifted at 9am, but for 28 days Dunedin City Council will have powers to carry out essential emergency-related work.
However, Christchurch civil defence controller Mary Richardson announced this morning the state of emergency would remain in her city for the rest of the day.
“We are waiting to assess any impact from the next high tide, which is due at 5.08pm,” she said.
“By the time any impact is known it will be night-time and so we will reassess the situation tomorrow morning.”
People are being warned flood water is likely to be contaminated, both councils have warned.
Metservice says last week’s rain storm was so devastating because it was slow moving.
Most places from Christchurch to Dunedin recorded more than the long-term average July rainfall in just 24 to 48 hours.
A pair of fronts are due in the next few days but the heaviest rain will be in western areas of the South Island.
From Thursday, another winter storm with rain looks likely to affect Canterbury and much of the South Island. NZN

No posts to display