Dunedin residents evacuated because of flooding have been told it it could be several days before they will be allowed back into their homes.
About 130 properties, mostly in the Henley and Taieri areas, were vacated after torrential rain hit on Friday and Saturday.
A state of emergency was lifted yesterday morning and a transition period is in place for 28 days to allow local authorities to carry out essential work.
City council recovery manager Simon Pickford says the first priority is getting an accurate picture of the situation for the evacuees.
He says it will be several days before the area is dry to assess to flooded properties.
This means affected residents will have to remain out of their homes “for at least the next few days, possibly longer”.
Since Saturday, building inspectors have visited 30 damaged properties and four buildings have been issued with dangerous building notices because of slips.
In Christchurch, a state of emergency remains in place and civil defence is expected to reassess the situation today.
Canterbury medical officer of health Dr Alistair Humphrey is advising anyone still living in properties flooded above floor level to leave as soon as possible.
He says they should stay away until the buildings have been properly checked.
So far, 30 properties have been identified as having been flooded above floor level, while 27 others have been affected with flooding above foundation level. NZN