Dunedin’s boil water notice will remain in place until at least late Friday as tests continue on the city’s supply.
The advice, issued yesterday morning, applies to about 1720 residential and 825 properties in central and north Dunedin areas.
Council chief executive Sue Bidrose says the notice will extend until at least 4pm on Friday.
“We now need to ensure at least three clear days of testing, plus 24 hours, before the boil water notice can be lifted,” she said.
Eight tankers with clean drinking water would be back at locations in the affected areas from 6am today.
Dr Bidrose said untreated water began entering the treated water supply on Monday afternoon.
She said a valve was opened to lower the level of the Ross Creek reservoir to help with the dam refurbishment project.
Staff had checked council plans and maps, which did not show any connection into the reticulated water supply.
It was understood any such connections had been decommissioned 30 years ago, but this proved incorrect and resulted in the untreated water entering the treated supply.
Dr Bidrose said the valve was shut and the notice to boil water was issued as soon as the council was aware of the issue. NZN