Prison guards charged

SHARE

Wellington
Three prison guards and three prisoners have been charged with assault after a stabbing attack on a guard in Auckland Prison at Paremoremo resulted in prisoners apparently being beaten.
Police say the guards will appear in the North Shore District Court today after the prisoners appeared last week.
The charges result from an incident in the maximum security prison on May 20, when a prison officer was stabbed a number of times, Inspector Sunny Patel said.
“Police have also been investigating the force used by corrections officers following the attack . . . due to the injuries received by the prisoners,” he said.
The prison’s director Andy Langley says they called police immediately after the incident and have made management changes in the wing.
Standard procedures were allegedly not followed, he said.
The three staff have been suspended.
The Corrections inspectorate is also investigating the incident.
“Corrections has a zero tolerance to violence policy,” Mr Langley said.
“No assault or violent behaviour by a prisoner, or a staff member, is acceptable. Anyone who takes part in this kind of behaviour can expect to be prosecuted.”
The three prisoners, two aged 22 and one aged 24, have been jointly charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and aggravated assault.
A 34-year-old Corrections officer has been charged with causing grievous bodily harm with reckless disregard; a 26-year-old officer has been charged with assault with intent to injure; and a 31-year-old officer has been charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice. NZN

No posts to display