Pensioner’s cocaine trial date set

SHARE

Laura Mills
Eighteen months after his arrest, retired West Coast beekeeper Roy Arbon allegedly caught importing cocaine to Australia is set to go to trial later this month in Perth.
Just over $9000 has been raised via a Givealittle page by friends and supporters to help with legal costs.
Mr Arbon, who kept bees on the Coast Road before retiring to Blaketown, was caught with the drugs in the lining of his bag upon returning from Brazil.
The trial had been set down for March 20, but now looks set to start at the end of August.
The Supreme Court said late on Friday that Roy Stuart Arbon’s status conference on August 3 was vacated. He was remanded to a status conference on August 17. A trial by jury has been set down for August 28 on one charge of importing and exporting commercial quantities of border controlled drugs or border controlled plants.
The latest update on the Givealittle page says Mr Arbon has had his psychiatric report and “I gather that his vulnerability to predatory people may be one of the significant observations of the psychiatrist”.
“There were changes to Roy’s behaviour after his scaffolding accident and these are being explored, too.” Originally from Whakatane,
Mr Arbon has lived on the West Coast since 1981.

No posts to display