Court asked to withhold fall victim's name

ShareThis

Police say they are unable to release the name of the Canterbury man who fell to his death after tumbling from the third floor of the Beachfront Hotel, in Hokitika, on Saturday because his family has applied to the High Court to have the man’s name permanently suppressed. Tasman area police media spokeswoman Barbara Dunn said they would not be releasing any details about the deceased until the application had been dealt with in court. “The family is in shock and we are not going to jump the gun and release any further details,” Ms Dunn said. The 58-year-old had been staying at the hotel with his wife and friends, and the group had been socialising at the hotel before adjourning to their rooms. The man fell from the balcony about midnight and died on the way to hospital.